London’s New River

Authors

  • Carry van Lieshout King’s College London, UK

Abstract

The New River was a canal opened in 1613 to supply London’s growing population with fresh water, which was commercially sold by the New River Company. Its construction and use played an instrumental part in the shift from freely available water that had to be fetched to a commercial service that was laid into people’s homes.

Author Biography

Carry van Lieshout, King’s College London, UK

Carry van Lieshout has studied geography at University College Utrecht, and completed a MA in Urban Geography at King’s College London. Currently she is finishing up her PhD research at King’s on London’s water management in the eighteenth century. From October 2011 she will commence the Tawney fellowship of the Economic History Society, studying the private water market in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century London.

Downloads

Published

2012-06-11

Issue

Section

Articles